- By admin
- 7 December, 2012
- Comments Off on What is the advantage of doing a Drug Regimen Review or Cost Projection prior to an MSA Allocation?
Reviewing the drug regimen prior to obtaining an MSA allocation is important when you have a claimant who has a high number of prescriptions, is using brand name vs generic, or is on a narcotic. In many cases a review of the medication history can open up opportunities to reduce future costs. Reasons why a Drug Regimen Review (DRR) is helpful before a Medicare Set-Aside is performed include:
- * Some drugs being listed are no longer going to be needed. If it is a short wait period then it is better to hold off on settlement until the drug is no longer necessary
- * Some medications are being prescribed which have nothing to do with the case
- * Brand names are being used instead of generic
- * Dosage can be structured so a less expensive alternative can be utilized.
- * Physicians can be questioned as to the need for prolonged use of certain medications
For the same reasons, a Cost-Projection can be useful. A Pre-Medicare Set-Aside (quick cost or cost projection) will assist you in identifying the probable future medical cost of a claim, thereby allowing you to plan a reserve for future medical expenditure.